Sunday, November 15, 2009

14 days - 7 ways -- Episode Four Prelude: Intro to Alt. Country

It's been overdue - primarily due to the big move; but here lies unraveled Episode Four. Drifting onwards into more of the whole Alt.country/Americana obsession of mine, this next artist is more country than indie obviously but the drawl of it all is pretty sweet tugging on them heartstrings y'all. In other words - it's all out country, so a heads up, if you're not a country fan than this might be your downward spiral into, if not country, than most certainly Alt. Country.


*Note: at this point, I feel it prudent & essential to make this blogisode a prelude to the actual episode Four and proper intro to Alt. Country


Possibly my favorite genre - my darling alt. country artists include, in no particular order: Neko Case, Ryan Adams, Old 97's, Kathleen Edwards, Hem, Teddy Thompson, Josh Ritter, The Mountain Goats, Lucero, Iron & Wine,  Caitlin Cary, Cory Branan and more. 

  (Wiki says: Alternative country is a term used to describe a number of country music subgenres that tend to differ from mainstream or pop country music. The term is sometimes known as alt-country and has included country music bands and artists that have incorporated influences ranging from American roots music, bluegrass, rock & roll, rockabilly, acoustic music, americana, honky-tonk, alternative rock, folk rock and punk rock.)

It'll be preposterous NOT to post some of my favorite alt-country tunes right here, right now. Ofcourse that again will be hundreds of songs, but let's start with the basic starter pack.

Mid-Blogisode Special - Alt. Country Starter Pack


 
key-lyric: besides the dazzling opening lyric "My love I am the speed of sound...", deep into the first verse Neko says: "I have waited with a glacier's patience... smashed every transformer with every trailer till nothing was standing... 65 miles wide" (the whole song is lushfully brilliant)

key-lyric: "You can go ahead and get married & this'll be our secret thing... I won't tell a soul except the people in the night club where I sing"
key-lyric: "You know the girl you said I'd meet someday, well I got something to confess; I picked her up on friday, she asked me if she reminded me of you - I just laughed & lit a cigarette, said that's impossible to do"

key-lyric: "You don't even have to speak, if you keep looking at me..."

R.E.M. cover - So. Central Rain is one of the most gracefully brilliant songs ever written.




So blogisode four shall descend later with a little bit of Caitlin & Will and a whole lot more of Alt. Country. Grr.


7 honey-dipped indie recommendations - the 7 blogisode series. This was prelude to blogisode four. Emme Packer/Madi Diaz/Kate Tucker/Prelude: Intro. to Alt. Country/Caitlin & Wil/Voyces/Portico/Special - Indie Undercover

No comments: